Who We Are:
The St. Mary's Catholic Campus Ministry at Stephen F. Austin State University is under the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tyler. Funding for the ministry comes from the Tyler Diocese and generous contributions of alumni, parents, parishoners, and students. We seek to foster our Christian stewardship daily through a spirit of fasting, almsgiving, prayer, and penance.
1959: St. Mary’s Catholic Campus Ministry was originally established as a Newman Center by the Diocese of Galveston/Houston.
1960s: A burned house on East College St was purchased, remodeled, and served as the Newman center.
1970s: The Diocese of Beaumont provided funds to construct a new multi-purpose building that served as both a chapel and student center.
Mid- 70s: The multi-purpose building was remodeled into a fully functioning chapel and named Christ the Teacher Catholic Chapel. The building which served as the Newman center was also remodeled and a large gathering space, known as the Bishop Ganter Hall, was also added.
1986: The jurisdictional control on the facility was transferred to the newly formed Diocese of Tyler.
Late-1980s: The name was officially changed to St. Mary’s Catholic Chapel and the Catholic Student Center.
Dec. 2004: Some renovations were done on St. Mary’s Chapel. The project was made possible by a grant from John G and Marie S. Kennedy Memorial Foundations and gifts of individuals.
The future is bright and exciting for St. Mary’s Catholic Campus Ministry. We hope that the students, faculty, staff and our friends will continue to worship here for many more years to come.